Common Myths and Misconceptions With Mold

Mold can be eliminated from the indoor environment

Every home has some airborne levels of mold spores. Mold is a part of nature; always present in the environment and can never be completely eliminated.

Mold can be killed using bleach or cleaning products

There are a wide variety of products on the market today that claim to kill mold. Sure they will help clean mold in your shower or the caulking around your kitchen sink. When it comes to mold growing on sheetrock as a result of water damage, wiping the mold off with bleach or a cleaning product only cleans the mold on the surface area but does not address what is behind the walls, the insulation or the framing studs. A hidden source of mold will remain.

If you don’t see the mold then there is no mold

Airborne mold spores are invisible to the naked eye. The potential health hazards related to mold exposure are ingesting the airborne mold spores directly by breathing.

Dead Mold is Harmless

Mold goes into what’s called an inactive or dormant state. Mold spores that are active or dormant are equally harmful to the individual. Over 95% of mold professionals in the industry collect what’s called non- viable samples, which do not differentiate between active or dormant mold spores.

All Black Mold is Toxic Mold

Most associate toxic mold with “The Black Mold ” Stachybotrys Chartarum, but this is not the only mold to have toxic properties. All Molds, Toxic and Allergenic come in a wide variety of colors, while Stachybotrys mold is reported to have the highest levels of toxicity, it is important to remember that many allergenic molds are also black in color. There are thousands of different species of mold in the environment, while all molds are considered to be allergenic, only a small percentage has the ability to produce mycotoxins which is why they are considered toxic.