mold in your basement

Is there Mold in your Basement?

The basement is a dark, generally unventilated and moisture laden area of most homes. In basements, floods happen, pipes are prone to leakage, humidity is usually uncontrolled and air flow is stagnant. These conditions are just perfect for mold to originate and proliferate, in fact, the basement is one of the most common places to find mold.

Although you may run down the stairs to throw in a load of laundry, grab totes out of storage or move unused household items down for storage, how much time do you really spend in your basement? Now is the time to do so, the summer is rapidly heating up, and with all of the rain that Northern New Jersey has been experiencing lately, you should really go do a moisture check in the basement.

WHAT TO CHECK FOR:

  • Go down into your basement and turn on the lights, check for visible mold.
  • Do the smell check! Check for that initial mildew smell when you open the door.
  • Look closely at any plumbing and the materials around it, are they wet or discolored

If you already can see mold in your basement on the walls or carpet, you can bet there is more to be found. For all of the health risks that mold can cause, you want to make sure that you do something now to stop and prevent mold growth in your basement. Although there are many DIY mold killers on the internet, from vinegar to bleach and hydrogen peroxide to boric acid, you should know that all molds are not created equal. These harmful ingredients can also be dangerous to work with both on contact and when inhaled.

Our recommendation is that you find a trusted professional to deal with the problem. Our mold inspection team will inspect and locate the cause or causes of the mold development and can advise on how to best mitigate and whom to call to remove it.

Don’t attempt to take on your basement mold by yourself, employ a professional to test and locate the mold. Call us today for a quote in New York at (845) 215-9258 or in New Jersey at (201)733-0091.

dehumidifier

Humidity is rising

From Monticello to Poughkeepsie the humidity is rising, hot humid days are here and not going anywhere soon. Many are booting up their dehumidifiers for some relief in the home from excessive humidity. Increased humidity can lead to an optimal mold growth environment in your home. Use of a dehumidifier can help to reduce moisture and prevent mold growth. Dehumidifiers while extremely helpful, can pose a mold risk themselves when not cared for properly which many people do not realize. See below for our tips on reducing moisture and using a dehumidifier properly in order to reduce the risk of mold growth in the home.

  • Neglected dehumidifiers can be a source of mold and spread mold spores, keep them clean and keep up with regular maintenance suggested by the manufacturer of your dehumidifier in the instruction manual
  • Use a dehumidifier in any area of the home that is prone to moisture (i.e. Basement, crawlspace)
  • Empty and clean the reservoir regularly with hot soapy water – a dirty reservoir can be a breeding grounds for mold.
  • Purchase a hygrometer to measure the level of relative humidity in your home, strive to keep it between 50-55%, check relative humidity in all rooms and levels of the home or building
  • If you notice an area is particularly moist or wet, use the dehumidifier in that area within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth and keep an eye on that area

We hope that these tips help you to properly use your dehumidifier this summer and protect you against mold growth and exposure. No matter how hard we try sometimes mold happens! That is why we are here for you if you have discovered mold in your home or suspect it may be a culprit of your allergies, call us today for your mold inspection.

Basement Mold

While mold doesn’t discriminate where it originates, and largely spreads fast, the cellar is one of the most common areas where mold grows. For some, the basement is a place they rarely go. Perhaps you run down and throw in a load of wash, or put a box of old clothes down for storage, but do you spend any actual time downstairs? Do you turn on the light and look around when you go into the basement? Do you see mold and figure it can’t be that bad? It would be worth it for you to look twice next time you’re down there.

Because the basement is an area that is dark, unventilated, and prone to moisture, mold grows happily. Basements flood, pipes leak, humidity is uncontrolled and air flow is halted. All of these things lead to only more mold growth. If you see mold on the walls, carpet or on anything stored in the cellar, you can bet there is more to be found. For all of the health risks that mold can cause, you want to make sure that mold growth is not happening if your basement, compromising the health of your family.

There are many DIY Mold killers out there, some suggest vinegar, and others bleach. What is important to know is that there are different types of mold and they cannot all be treated the same! Bleach can reduce spreading of mold, but does not effectively kill it. Boric Acid is recommended by some, but this is a powerful caustic material, if you get it on your skin you can be burned, not to mention the lack of ventilation in the basement can harm you.

Our recommendation is that you trust a professional to deal with the problem. Our mold inspection team will locate the cause or causes of the mold development and will advise on how to best mitigate and whom to call to remove it. Mold also grows in different places, so we check the whole basement top to bottom to make sure there are not multiple signs of mold growth, water damage or compromised areas.

Don’t attempt to take on your basement mold by yourself, employ a professional to test and locate the mold. Don’t wait any longer to determine out what is genuinely in your basement, call us today for a quote.