There is so much information on the internet about mold, many suggestions for how to get rid of it in the home, and even more information about companies that will inspect and abate your mold problem. If you’re looking for just the facts in your search, you came to the right place. Below is our top ten list of what you should know about mold.
- There are many potential adverse health effects as well as symptoms that can be associated with exposure to mold. These include, but are not limited to asthma, allergic reactions, upper respiratory complaints and coughing.
- Mold lives as spores, which get released into the air, and circulate in their environment.
- In order to control or prevent mold growth, sources of moisture must be eliminated
- Controlling humidity can prevent mold from growing. Increase the ventilation in your home, especially in the bathroom or any other area prone to moisture.
- There is no limit to where mold can grow. Don’t assume that certain materials can’t grow mold. As long as there is moisture on a surface, there can be mold.
- Rugs or carpets should not be installed in places like the bathroom or the basement if there is ability for moisture in the area.
- Insulating your home can help to prevent condensation on pipes, windows etc.
- Cleaning mold off of a hard surface that is non-porous may be obtainable. Yet, if there is a porous surface, it is better off being replaced.
- Timing is everything, if you have had a flood or water event in your home or business, it is important to dry the materials within 48 hours to prevent mold from growing.
- Let the experts do their job. If mold is a problem in the home, it is important to get someone that has knowledge and experience in the field in order to investigate and possibly abate the problem.
For more information about mold inspection, please visit our Mold Inspection page. Remember, it is important to act right away if mold is suspected in the home. Contact us today and get your inspection underway.